Test

  Home About Me Creations Oh Snap!  

10 Things I've Learning from Teaching


10 Things I've Learned From Teaching {Linky Party} hosted by Miss Kindergarten

I lose track on how many years of teaching but should be around 10 years.
I've learned many things from my experiences.
Here it goes!!!

1. Make friends with the office staff and janitor. I'm always sending chocolate up to the ladies up front when I need a last minute copy. They are too good to me.

2. You can never have enough glue sticks, clorox wipes, zip-lock bags, and page protectors.

3. When you really want to get their attention .... whisper. Whispering is more effective than raising your voice.

4. Parents and students really don't care how much you know until you show them how much you care!

5. You can never have enough books. 

6. Beg, Borrow and Steal... there are some wonderful resources out there... no need to recreate the wheel. Many teachers are willing to share!

7. Find a mentor teacher... They have a wealth of knowledge. You would be surprised at all of their bag of tricks they have up their sleeve.

8. Balance is a key... You will hear new techniques or new ideas but really they are just new names to some tried and true practices. You can't do it all.

9. Every day is a new experience... You have to let each day end and start over fresh the next day. If something doesn't work out just right you have tomorrow. 

10. Listen to your students... they have some really neat ideas and can teach you so much. Take time to truly listen.


10 comments:

  1. We've learned some of the same things :) I'm glad that I've learned these things sooner before later!

    Natalie
    Teachery Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with making friends with the support staff. It can make the difference in your school year.
    Mechele
    Barrow's Hodgepodge

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right...every day is a brand new experience. Even when it feels like the universe is working against you on a certain day, you can always go home, regroup and start over the next day with the kiddos. Chances are they don't even know when something is amiss anyway. Loved reading this.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of your points!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really taking you can never have too many books to heart this year! =)

    I will be sure to make friends with everyone from the janitor to the lunch ladies this fall! It is one thing I have really taken to heart!

    The Polished Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree with your #1, things will go a lot smoother in the office if everyone is on good terms. Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10 great and true statements! I agree with all of them completely. I especially like your point about whispering rather than raising your voice. I've always believed that if a teacher is raising their voice it's because they've lost control...not their students.

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the whispering trick! works every time! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle!
    Love your ideas. Balance and listening are so important! I'm your newest follower! :)
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands & Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whispering is such a great trick! I forget about it until I lose my voice every year ! I need to keep it in mind. Wonderful post! i'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE hearing from you!